Monday, November 7, 2016

Wasp's Nest by Gabriel Valjan


Title: Wasp's Nest
Author: Gabriel Valjan
Series: Roma Series #2

Received for Review from:

RATING: 4.5 STARS


In the highly anticipated sequel to Roma, Underground, Bianca returns to the U.S. for her former employer, the covert organization Rendition, to investigate Cyril Sargent and Nasonia Pharmaceutical. Although ambivalent about the assignment and uneasy about her online “friend,” Loki, she is enticed into researching what Sargent is doing with insect genetics that might upset the world of cancer research and treatment. Old friends Farrugia and Gennaro uncover a twisted conspiracy from their past and join Bianca in Boston where they will experience conflicted loyalties, question allies, and confront uncertain enemies, as they're drawn into the wasp's nest.

MY THOUGHTS

This book brought a lot of my favorite things into play. I had never really been a huge fan of mystery books, but the first in this series made me a convert. But this sequel was so easy to enjoy because it brought in the concept of wasp genetics and an investigation of a pharmaceutical company. This made this book completely up my alley and I couldn't put it down. I picked it up this morning for a Halloween type read, and finished it in one sitting. I was so engrossed in the plot, and the characters, and the mystery that I couldn't stop reading. The added mystery of what the pharmaceutical company is doing with the wasp DNA kept me reading, and I liked that this case involved so much from my personal life (being a microbiology degree, it spoke to me :D )

I was excited to read about Bianca working back at Rendition, and has returned to Boston. I always like added intrigue in books, and it seems that her decision to come back to work for this organization might have lasting consequences? Like Dante. I am a sucker for these plot lines, and in this book it made me want to keep reading. 

I think that as a whole, I can say I'm loving this series. I never thought I would be attached to a series of mysteries, because I kind of thought they were one shot stand alones. But I know the appeal to them now. It's the characters that make the series worth reading on, and the mysteries and cases that crop up are added reading pleasure. I was on a small fence in the previous book, but Wasp's Nest pushed me over. I love this series, and can't wait to read book 3. 

This book was fast paced, and had so many surprises I didn't see coming. I loved that the plot took many different roads, and it takes the entire book and then some to finally grasp what is going on, or what you think is going on. 

I loved this book, and can't wait to read the next one in the series. I recommend this series to those who love mystery thriller series. I love the characters, and look forward to seeing what the author puts them through in the next installment. 

Author's Bio:

Gabriel Valjan lives in Boston, Massachusetts. He is the author of the Roma Series, available from Winter Goose Publishing. Gabriel has also written numerous short stories and essays found online and in print.

Connect with the author:  Website ~Twitter  ~ Facebook

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for your review. There are many great mysteries out there. I try to recommend those I find on my Twitter feed on Fridays. Hope you continue to enjoy the Roma Series.

    ReplyDelete